Matt is an experienced litigation and appellate attorney. A graduate of Yale Law School and a former Ninth Circuit clerk, he regularly serves as lead appellate counsel in cases before state and federal appellate courts in the Pacific Northwest, and has a track record of success.
Matt is also an accomplished litigator and skilled negotiator, with particular experience litigating matters involving complex business transactions, securities, accounting, and finance; cases involving statutory, constitutional and regulatory schemes; actions involving professional duties; class actions; shareholder disputes; derivative actions; trust and partnership disputes; and many others.
Yale Law School
University of Massachusetts
Hart Wagner LLP
Counsel to Judiciary Committee
2007 Legislative Session
Stoel Rives LLP
Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton and Garrison LLP, New York City, NY
Justice James Coleman
New Jersey Supreme Court
Law Clerk, 1999-2000
The Honorable Judge Susan Graber
United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Law Clerk, 2000-2001
Admitted To Practice
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts
District of Oregon
Western District of Washington
Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
The United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
United States Supreme Court
Awards and Recognitions
Best Lawyers in America
Appellate Practice, 2016-2019
Commercial Litigation, 2019
Oregon Super Lawyers
Rising Star, 2008-2012
Professional Activities and Associations
Multnomah Bar Association
Oregon Judicial Department, Oregon Rules of Appellate Procedure Committee, 2014-present
Oregon State Bar, Executive Committee Chair of the Constitutional Law Section, 2018-present; Uniform Civil Jury Instructions Committee, 2011-2013; Securities Section; Appellate Section
Oregon Association of Defense Counsel, Editor, “The Verdict” Magazine, 2012-2015
Chapter on “Civil Procedure, Dispute Resolution and Appellate Practice,” Oregon Legislation Highlights, Co-author, 2007
Contributor to Oregon State Bar publications on appellate law and procedure
“The Changing U.S. Supreme Court,” Featured Speaker, City Club of Portland Friday Forum, July 13, 2018
Co-organizer and Moderator, Constitutional Law Section Annual Seminar on Developments in Constitutional Law
Panelist on Developments in Tort Law
Panelist on Legislative Highlights, 2007 Legislative Session
Panelist on CLE on Ethics and Judgments
Panelist on Motion Practice in Legal Malpractice Claims
Presenter on “Trends in ADA Law,” BOLI Seminar
Pioneer Courthouse Historical Society, Member, Board of Directors
U.S. District Court of Oregon Historical Society, 2005-2009, Board of Directors, 2007-2009, Board Member, 2005-2009
Pro Bono activities for refugees seeking asylum
Recent Appellate Matters
- Reversal of jury verdict against municipality in case alleging intentional torts. Miller v. Columbia County, 573 Or. App. 348 (2016).
- Reversal of jury verdict in case defining scope of disability law under ADA. Weaving v. City of Hillsboro,763 F.3d 1106 (9th Cir. 2014).
- Represented business client in case narrowly defining scope of liability of Oregon limited liability corporations. Cortez v. Nacco Materials Handling Grp., Inc., 248 Or. App. 435, 356 Or. 254 (2014).
- Preserved victory for restaurant in case defining scope of liability for criminal act that occurred on premises. Stewart v. Kids Inc., 245 Or. App. 267 (2011), 353 Or. 104 (2012).
- Preserved victory in case defining scope of expert discovery obligations in Oregon. A.G. v. Guitron, 238 Or. App. 223 (2010), 351 Or. 465 (2011).
- Represents national broker in federal class action and related state cases alleging liability under Oregon securities laws.
- Represents bank CFO in case alleging bank fraud and conspiracy.
- Represents municipal corporation in case defining scope of constitutional authority to regulate speech on municipal property.
- Secured favorable settlement of multiple class actions for national medical organization.
- Received judgment in favor of client alleged to have conspired to defraud third party in business transaction.
- Received judgment in favor of client alleged to have violated securities laws.
- Received exemption from regulatory requirement for professional liability fund, in lawsuit brought against the United States.
- Secured dismissal of all claims for professional fiduciary accused of violating constitution.
- Received dismissal of claims on behalf of board of directors in derivative lawsuits alleging breach of fiduciary duties.